2.16.2013

FAREWELL


"So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good-bye!" Don't worry folks, I'm not leaving this blog anytime soon. (Did I scare you a tad?) I have been taking a bit of an unintentional hiatus, though. I have transitioned to being a full-time working stiff (from the easy, make-your-own hours life of a college student) and learned to cope with a husband who is only home select evenings and weekends due to work and school.


However, the most exciting reason I've been absent is the slow but steady start of my design business The Main Event! I've had a link to the business page in the upper left of this blog for a while now, but I thought it might be fun to share a little bit of what I do and why I am particularly in love with this job that eats up the rare free moments I have anymore. I began designing wedding announcements, which are a blast because they can embody so many styles and come in a million varieties.



As I played around with fonts and graphics, I realized that I was ignoring a very important part of what I have to offer as an artist: graphics and text from my own hands! I braved incorporating some hand-drawn fonts into my first baby announcement and I was hooked! Each invitation or announcement is supposed to tell a unique story about its announcees, and I really felt like hand-drawn work allowed me to embody the little nuances that made my clients so special. The moral of this story is that now I include a unique graphic element for each and every design of mine, because there is simply no better way to make an announcement or invitation memorable!


So now I spend my afternoons and evenings crafting wedding invitations, shopping for envelopes, drawing baby names in sweet fonts, and waiting for graduation season so I can bust out a horde of announcements for all my intelligent friends! When you have a moment, take a look at The Main Event website and let me know when you're ready to start designing the perfect announcement or invitation!


By the way, this card I've showed you is a farewell cards for the girls in my youth group at church who graduate up to the next age level. I hate it when they leave me, but I sure love the time I spend with them and I try to remind them of how special they are with a card when they turn twelve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well aren't you a cool kid. Thanks for dropping me a line!